Subject: 28.0.90; if tooltip-mode is off, modeline context menu blocks minibuffer at column 36

From: Van Ly <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 13:59:23 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

When tooltip-mode is off, the minibuffer displays the message in
place of the tooltip.  For the modeline context menu items, the
minibuffer's message line is blocked by the context menu at
column 36.

steps to reproduce
* start emacs by 'emacs -Q'
* apply M-x customize-variable RET tooltip-mode RET
* turn off tooltip-mode
* goto *scratch* buffer
* apply mouse button-3 to display modeline context menu
* on hover over 'Overwrite(Ovwrt)' the minibuffer message line is 
readable to column 36 and the rest of the minibuffer is blocked by 
the modeline context menu

observed behavior
* minibuffer's message line is blocked by modeline context menu at 
column 36

expected behavior
* minibuffer's message line is readable for the length of the width 
of the emacs frame, modeline context menu offsets appropriately and 
does not block minibuffer message line

-- 
vl