Subject: Re: bug#53188: 28.0.90; if tooltip-mode is off, modeline context menu blocks minibuffer at column 36

From: Van Ly <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 13:24:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 13 Jan 2022, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> The text associated with the tooltip is helpful early on but becomes
>> an annoying visual nag once you are familiar with what that thing
>> does.  I had tooltip-mode set nil.  I didn't expect the echo area to
>> contain the tooltip.  There was text in the echo area and I couldn't
>> get the modeline context menu out of the way to read it.  When I
>> restarted in 'emacs -Q' to report the bug I discovered the echo area
>> partially contained the tooltip text because tooltip-mode is default
>> on.  My point is if there is text I want, I want to be able to read
>> all of it.  If I've set tooltip-mode nil then I expect tooltip text
>> masked out from every output channel.
>
> So you are actually asking for a new feature, whereby the tooltips are
> not shown at all, is that right?
>

No.  I think, I'm asking for the echo area to be readable when text 
is there.  The context menu from the modeline does not get in the 
way.  When I've disabled the text associated with the tooltip by 
setting tooltip-mode to nil, I assumed I wouldn't have reached this 
point where I have to ask for the tooltip text not to show.

-- 
vl