Subject: Re: bug#53188: 28.0.90; if tooltip-mode is off, modeline context menu blocks minibuffer at column 36

From: Van Ly <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 11:16:36 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 13 Jan 2022, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Maybe tooltip-mode should be silent in the echo-area once nil is set.
>
> I don't think I follow: do you mean that we should suppress _all_
> help-echo text when tooltip-mode is nil?  That'd be too drastic, I
> think, and unjustified.
>

The text associated with the tooltip is helpful early on but becomes 
an annoying visual nag once you are familiar with what that thing 
does.  I had tooltip-mode set nil.  I didn't expect the echo area to 
contain the tooltip.  There was text in the echo area and I couldn't 
get the modeline context menu out of the way to read it.  When I 
restarted in 'emacs -Q' to report the bug I discovered the echo area 
partially contained the tooltip text because tooltip-mode is default 
on.  My point is if there is text I want, I want to be able to read 
all of it.  If I've set tooltip-mode nil then I expect tooltip text 
masked out from every output channel.

-- 
vl