Subject: bug#53188: 28.0.90; if tooltip-mode is off, modeline context menu blocks minibuffer at column 36

From: Van Ly <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 08:26:11 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> expected behavior
>> * minibuffer's message line is readable for the length of the width
>> of the emacs frame, modeline context menu offsets appropriately and
>> does not block minibuffer message line
>
> Patches are welcome to pop up the menus so that they never overlap the
> echo-area when tooltip-mode is nil.  (This must be done up front, when
> calculating where to pop up the menu.)
>
> I do note that the most important use case where this comes into play,
> which is menus on text-mode frames, already behaves that way.  So the
> problem is rather small and confined to a somewhat marginal use case.
>

Maybe tooltip-mode should be silent in the echo-area once nil is set.

-- 
vl