Subject: bug#5318: 23.1.90; -batch vs. "Window height 3 too small (after splitting)"

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 19:57:07 +0100

> Suddenly I'm getting
 > "Window height 3 too small (after splitting)"
 > However none of my equipment has windows even twice as small.

The default value of `window-min-height' is 4 and since 3 < 4
`split-window' throws that error.  The error can occur independently of
the height of the window you want to split: If the window you want to
split has 50 lines and you want to split it into two windows of size 47
and 3 you get the error.

 > Something must have broke recently.

Not very recently, I suppose.

 > emacs-version "23.1.90.1"
 >
 > -*- mode: compilation; default-directory: "/home/jidanni/pda/webtree/addresses/" -*-
 > Compilation started at Tue Jan  5 03:52:17
 >
 > emacs -q -batch -eval \
 > 	'(progn(bbdb "." t)(other-window 1)(bbdb-display-all-records-completely nil)(set-buffer-file-coding-system (quote utf-8-unix) nil)(write-file "abb.txt"))'

I don't have bbdb so I can't test this.  Can you verify whether the
error occurs in `bbdb-display-all-records-completely' by omitting all
clauses following the (other-window 1) clause?

You could also try to replace "progn" by "let ((window-min-height 1))"
but this will probably fail if the function calling `split-window' uses
the value of `window-min-height' for calculating the size of the new
window.

martin