Subject: Re: bug#53173: 28.0.91; preedit style for X Input Method is not supported?

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 16:12:01 +0800

Hirofumi Kosaka <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> The X Server that I use supports 'over-the-spot' for XIM (X Input
> Method) preedit style, but the pretest version forces root window
> style, that is the most basic style but not good enough for us CJK
> users.

I completely agree.  Someone deleted the code for other styles to fix a
bug, instead of fixing the real cause of that problem, which I did on
master.

> Emacs 27.2 (or earlier) works fine for it, but the pretest version
> seems to ignore available preedit styles (X server provides) or so.

It's too late to change this inside the pretests, but it should work on
master.  As a bonus, you get the ability to change the input style, and
use any input method supported by GTK+.  To switch back to
`overthespot', simply add the following to your .Xresources file and
apply it:

  Emacs.inputStyle: overthespot

Also, please report any bugs you find with the new input style options.

XIM is a legacy interface, and at support for it has in general
experienced quite some bit-rot.

Closing, since it's been fixed on master.