Subject: bug#53162: ’guix shell [email-masked]’ downloads [email-masked]

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2025 10:05:20 +0200

Hi Andreas,

I’m reopening #53162:

    https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/53162

Just to comment on. :-)  And I’ll close it right after!

> Closing…

IMHO, the bug (unexpected behaviour) is still there!

As you noticed once, IIRC, this annoyance matters on powerless hardware
because we have this chain of dependencies:

        $ guix graph --path [email-masked] [email-masked]
        [email-masked]
        [email-masked]
        [email-masked]
        [email-masked]

and therefore, if there is no substitute, then it needs to build all.

Ok, that’s the game of bootstrapping. :-) However, the current design
implies to also pass all the lengthy Haskell test suite.

Well, for the record, I point this old thread [1].  From my
remembering, I did some stuff in that direction but I’ve probably lost
the branch… Arf!

> ………………………… there does not seem to be any actionable idea for progress.

The two actionable cut-corner steps are:

   1. Make the test suite separate

     e.g., if the lenghty and intensive test suite of [email-masked] fails,
     then it isn’t blocking for trying to build the rest.

   2. Cut a bit the chain, as explained in [1]

Well, these cut-the-corners are two overdues [2] and this report was a
kind of reminder. :-)  For sure, fine to keep it close and track the
progress directly on Codeberg.

Thanks for raising this up… :-D

Cheers,
simon

1: Re: Core-updates after the staging merge
Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Mon, 17 Apr 2023 14:19:43 +0200
id:[email-masked]
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-04
https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]

2: Re: Core-updates after the staging merge
Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Mon, 17 Apr 2023 11:03:25 +0200
id:ZD0LXefP6X4TiYYF@jurong
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-04
https://yhetil.org/guix/ZD0LXefP6X4TiYYF@jurong