Subject: bug#5316: make[1]: Leaving directory vs. RET

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 17:19:18 -0700

[email-masked] writes:

> Regarding these two lines,
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/jidanni/pda/webtree/addresses'
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jidanni/pda/webtree/addresses'
> If the user places the cursor upon the directory in the latter and hits
> RET, emacs should visit there, just like when he does it on the former.
> Instead, it goes to default-directory.

I tried reproducing this in Emacs 27 when compiling:

make[2]: Entering directory '/home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/doc/lispref'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'info'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/doc/lispref'
make -C doc/lispintro info
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/doc/lispintro'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'info'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/doc/lispintro'

And putting point in the string portion of Entering/Leaving takes me to
the directory in question, so that's been fixed, apparently?  Are you
still able to see this bug in modern Emacs versions?

But if I put point on "make[1]:", then I get this backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
  file-name-absolute-p(nil)
  compilation-find-file(#<marker at 7825 in *compilation*> nil nil)
  apply(compilation-find-file #<marker at 7825 in *compilation*> nil nil nil)
  compilation-next-error-function(0 nil)
  next-error-internal()
  compile-goto-error(return)
  funcall-interactively(compile-goto-error return)
  call-interactively(compile-goto-error nil nil)
  command-execute(compile-goto-error)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no