Subject: Re: bug#53157: guix/ui.scm:203 requires guile-3.0.3

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 11:14:13 +0100

Hi,

Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I'm using ./pre-inst-env on my powerpc-linux machine, using guile-3.0.2
> as provided by Debian. When I try to run the following command:
> ./pre-inst-env guix build -L /path/to/repo -m /path/to/manifest.scm -n
> I get the following error:
>
> guix/ui.scm:230:13: error: default-optimization-level: unbound variable
>
> It doesn't make sense to gate this with (target-ppc32?) since it's due
> to the guile version. If I had configured within 'guix shell -D guix' I
> would be using guile-3.0.7.
>
> configure.ac checks for guile 3.0.

I’m in favor of updating ‘configure.ac’ to check for Guile > 3.0.x
(we’ll have to check which value of ‘x’ works).

But…

> (ins)efraim@g4:~$ apt-cache policy guile-3.0
> guile-3.0:
>   Installed: 3.0.2-2be32
>   Candidate: 3.0.2-2be32

… are you saying that requiring > 3.0.2 would cause problems when
porting to other architectures?

In general, we shouldn’t be tied to what Debian provides, but we can see
how much of a problem that would cause.  If it really is a problem, we
can adjust that one reference to ‘default-optimization-level’ in (guix
ui).

Thanks,
Ludo’.