Subject: bug#53151: closed (Re: bug#53151: Bug: Overlapping Partitions)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 22:24:02 +0000

Your bug report

#53151: Bug: Overlapping Partitions

which was filed against the parted package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
53151: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=53151
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#53151: Bug: Overlapping Partitions
From: "Brian C. Lane" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 14:23:29 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Sun, Jan 09, 2022 at 02:50:55PM -0500, AE x Lemur wrote:
> I think I found a bug in v3.4 of GNU Parted.
> 
> This was my issue, put in removable media that had old Root and Home
> labelled partitions but they were mounted at /media/USER/xxxx.  I wanted to
> format and i got an error about overlapping partitions.
> 
> I used sfdisk to check my sectors start and end.
> 
> I outputted the partition table data to a text file and edited the overlap
> as I did find one on /dev/sdb. I used sfdisk -d /dev/sdb >
> ~/Desktop/sdb-backup.txt
> 
> After editing this text file to fix the overlap as my sdb1 end overlapped
> my sdb2 start, i re fed the new partition data back in with
> 
> sfdisk /dev/sdb < ~/Desktop/sdb-backup.txt
> 
> After being confident i fixed the overlap that was causing Parteds GUI to
> not open and the partitions were resized after feeding new adjusted data
> sectors to the disks with sfdisk,
> 
> I got this print out when using a command: parted /dev/sdb unit s print  to
> confirm the changes took place.  My terminal spit this out

That means that whatever (not parted) created that extended
partition that they didn't leave the required space before the first
logical partition. There's nothing that parted can do about that.

Although given how often this seems to come up I may look at adding an
actual error output instead of using the assert.

Brian

-- 
Brian C. Lane (PST8PDT) - weldr.io - lorax - parted - pykickstart

Subject: Bug: Overlapping Partitions
From: AE x Lemur <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 14:50:55 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I think I found a bug in v3.4 of GNU Parted.

This was my issue, put in removable media that had old Root and Home
labelled partitions but they were mounted at /media/USER/xxxx.  I wanted to
format and i got an error about overlapping partitions.

I used sfdisk to check my sectors start and end.

I outputted the partition table data to a text file and edited the overlap
as I did find one on /dev/sdb. I used sfdisk -d /dev/sdb >
~/Desktop/sdb-backup.txt

After editing this text file to fix the overlap as my sdb1 end overlapped
my sdb2 start, i re fed the new partition data back in with

sfdisk /dev/sdb < ~/Desktop/sdb-backup.txt

After being confident i fixed the overlap that was causing Parteds GUI to
not open and the partitions were resized after feeding new adjusted data
sectors to the disks with sfdisk,

I got this print out when using a command: parted /dev/sdb unit s print  to
confirm the changes took place.  My terminal spit this out

*Backtrace has 14 calls on stack:  14:
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2(ped_assert+0x4f) [0x7f15143c3c8f]  13:
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2(+0x2654c) [0x7f15143db54c]  12:
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2(+0x136ba) [0x7f15143c86ba]  11:
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2(ped_disk_add_partition+0x1f0)
[0x7f15143c8f90]  10: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2(+0x26f29)
[0x7f15143dbf29]  9: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2(+0x270dd)
[0x7f15143dc0dd]  8: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2(+0x26f54)
[0x7f15143dbf54]  7: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2(+0x271cd)
[0x7f15143dc1cd]  6:
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2(ped_disk_new+0x48) [0x7f15143c8a18]
5: parted(+0x8a1d) [0x55ae5016da1d]  4: parted(non_interactive_mode+0xb8)
[0x55ae50173378]  3: parted(main+0x116d) [0x55ae5016bbdd]  2:
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xcd) [0x7f151418b7ed]
1: parted(_start+0x2a) [0x55ae5016bd6a]You found a bug in GNU Parted!
Here's what you have to do:Don't panic! The bug has most likely not
affected any of your data.Help us to fix this bug by doing the
following:Check whether the bug has already been fixed by checkingthe last
version of GNU Parted that you can find at: http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/parted/
<http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/parted/>Please check this version prior to bug
reporting.If this has not been fixed yet or if you don't know how to
check,please visit the GNU Parted website:
http://www.gnu.org/software/parted <http://www.gnu.org/software/parted>for
further information.Your report should contain the version of this release
(3.4)along with the error message below, the output of parted DEVICE unit
co print unit s printand the following history of commands you entered.Also
include any additional information about your setup youconsider
important.Assertion (metadata_length > 0) at
../../../libparted/labels/dos.c:2359 in function
add_logical_part_metadata() failed.zsh: IOT instruction  sudo parted
/dev/sdb print unit s print unit chs print*

Please advise on how I fix this bug or review v3.4 files and patch the bug
for future versions.
Let me know if i was first to report this error in v3.4, not for reward but
for personal pride and an ability to show off an email.

Thanks
Brandon Thomas