Subject: Bug: Overlapping Partitions

From: AE x Lemur <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 14:50:55 -0500

I think I found a bug in v3.4 of GNU Parted.

This was my issue, put in removable media that had old Root and Home
labelled partitions but they were mounted at /media/USER/xxxx.  I wanted to
format and i got an error about overlapping partitions.

I used sfdisk to check my sectors start and end.

I outputted the partition table data to a text file and edited the overlap
as I did find one on /dev/sdb. I used sfdisk -d /dev/sdb >
~/Desktop/sdb-backup.txt

After editing this text file to fix the overlap as my sdb1 end overlapped
my sdb2 start, i re fed the new partition data back in with

sfdisk /dev/sdb < ~/Desktop/sdb-backup.txt

After being confident i fixed the overlap that was causing Parteds GUI to
not open and the partitions were resized after feeding new adjusted data
sectors to the disks with sfdisk,

I got this print out when using a command: parted /dev/sdb unit s print  to
confirm the changes took place.  My terminal spit this out

*Backtrace has 14 calls on stack:  14:
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2(ped_assert+0x4f) [0x7f15143c3c8f]  13:
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2(+0x2654c) [0x7f15143db54c]  12:
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2(+0x136ba) [0x7f15143c86ba]  11:
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2(ped_disk_add_partition+0x1f0)
[0x7f15143c8f90]  10: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2(+0x26f29)
[0x7f15143dbf29]  9: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2(+0x270dd)
[0x7f15143dc0dd]  8: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2(+0x26f54)
[0x7f15143dbf54]  7: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2(+0x271cd)
[0x7f15143dc1cd]  6:
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2(ped_disk_new+0x48) [0x7f15143c8a18]
5: parted(+0x8a1d) [0x55ae5016da1d]  4: parted(non_interactive_mode+0xb8)
[0x55ae50173378]  3: parted(main+0x116d) [0x55ae5016bbdd]  2:
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xcd) [0x7f151418b7ed]
1: parted(_start+0x2a) [0x55ae5016bd6a]You found a bug in GNU Parted!
Here's what you have to do:Don't panic! The bug has most likely not
affected any of your data.Help us to fix this bug by doing the
following:Check whether the bug has already been fixed by checkingthe last
version of GNU Parted that you can find at: http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/parted/
<http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/parted/>Please check this version prior to bug
reporting.If this has not been fixed yet or if you don't know how to
check,please visit the GNU Parted website:
http://www.gnu.org/software/parted <http://www.gnu.org/software/parted>for
further information.Your report should contain the version of this release
(3.4)along with the error message below, the output of parted DEVICE unit
co print unit s printand the following history of commands you entered.Also
include any additional information about your setup youconsider
important.Assertion (metadata_length > 0) at
../../../libparted/labels/dos.c:2359 in function
add_logical_part_metadata() failed.zsh: IOT instruction  sudo parted
/dev/sdb print unit s print unit chs print*

Please advise on how I fix this bug or review v3.4 files and patch the bug
for future versions.
Let me know if i was first to report this error in v3.4, not for reward but
for personal pride and an ability to show off an email.

Thanks
Brandon Thomas