Subject: Re: bug#53146: 29.0.50; Lock up in X11 call

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 08:39:32 +0800

Michael Welsh Duggan <[email-masked]> writes:

> Due to what I believe is a bug in Gnome shell or a Gnome shell extension
> that I have running, I am experiencing places where Emacs will lock up
> completely.  
>
> Under some unknown circumstances, when idle for a long while, sometimes
> gnome shell on my system will enter the activities overview instead of
> blanking the screen.  Why it does this is unknown, is likely a bug in
> gnome shell or one of my gnome extensions, and is likely itself
> unrelated to Emacs.  When I exit this state, though, Emacs is in a
> locked-up, unpainted (blank) state and will not respond to anything
> short of a SIGTERM.  Sending a SIGTERM will cause a frame to redraw, but
> Emacs remains in a locked and useless state.  With a second SIGTERM,
> emacs exits.
>
> I have attached to the locked up Emacs in a gdb session.  I've done this
> twice, and each time the backtrace was nearly identical, locking up in
> deep within XSetICValues() in xic_set_preeditarea().  This has been
> ocurring about once every two days, on average, so I can probably
> recreate it, if desired.

Hmm, could you try this with the following X resource applied?

  Emacs.inputStyle: none

Thanks.

Also, what version of GNOME Shell is that, and which extensions have you
installed?