Subject: Re: bug#53138: Handling of shrinked GPT disks

From: "Brian C. Lane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 14:18:41 -0800

On Sun, Jan 09, 2022 at 10:08:00AM +0200, Davis wrote:
> Hi,

[snip]

> I have tested parted with GPT disks that have been extended and there
> GPT displays a message like "Warning: Not all of the space available
> to /dev/loop5 appears to be used, you can fix the GPT to use all of
> the space (an extra 40960 blocks) or continue with the current
> setting?" and, when running interactively, offers to fix the issue.
> Could it be possible to implement similar behavior for shrunk GPT disks?

The question I have is, how common a problem is this? While it can
happen, it is a pretty fine line between losing just the backup GPT and
losing the end of the last partition (assuming it is fully utilized).
I'm not sure it's worth adding extra code and the potential for new bugs
if this isn't a common practice.

Brian

-- 
Brian C. Lane (PST8PDT) - weldr.io - lorax - parted - pykickstart