Subject: Re: bug#53126: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Lazy highlight/count when reading query-replace string, etc.

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2022 20:06:37 +0300

> I've attached a sketch of a macro to help activating the minibuffer lazy
> highlight.  It doesn't make query-replace-read-args exactly short,

I guess it will be much shorter for other less complex uses like occur?
So the complexity of this feature activation will be hidden inside the macro.

> Note that I haven't tested this code at all.  It's for impressionistic
> purposes only.

This code doesn't look bad when other uses will have just one line with
with-minibuffer-lazy-highlight.  But then the macro
with-minibuffer-lazy-highlight needs to set some reasonable
default values to isearch variables, such as setting
isearch-forward to t, etc.

> but if you like this, I can prepare the patch.

Currently it fails with

  Eager macro-expansion failure: (error
  "Malformed argument list ends with: ...

so it seems the macro complexity makes it too fragile.
OTOH, spreading this complexity in every feature use
doesn't look better.

> The anzu thing is only really meaningful if you are doing some complex
> replacements with \, and whatnot.  But in that case, I guess it could
> help a lot?

I can see how it could help during replacements, but not during entering
the replacement string.