Subject: bug#5309: 23.1.91; Cannot load .emacs-history from savehist.el

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 17:48:11 -0800

Sending this again, but with a much smaller attachment (46 KB), after having
pared down the file. I intended to send this new attachment as a reply to the
original bug report, but I never received that mail, so I couldn't reply to it.
I waited almost 7 hours.

I'm guessing that the original report was somehow lost or was perhaps rejected
because of the large (568 KB) attachment size (?). Dunno. (Seems like a
submitter should at least receive a rejection notice in that case, but I
received nothing.)

So, apologies for creating a new bug, but I have no bug number from the first
report attempt to reply to. Hopefully this time it will get through. If the
original bug does get opened, then we can delete that. The original message is
below, so you have all the info in this bug report.

HTH.

-----------------------------------------
From: Drew Adams Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2010 11:14 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: 23.1.91; Cannot load .emacs-history from savehist.el

emacs -Q
Trying to load the attached file raises the error "End of file during
parsing: c:/.emacs-history".
 
There is no real end-of-file problem, however: This file was created by
savehist.el using Emacs 23.1, and it loads fine in all releases of Emacs
(20 through 23).  An error is raised only for the Emacs 23.1.91.1
pretest.

NOTE: I had to attach a copy of the original file, because Windows doesn't allow
me to attach a file named `.emacs-history'. But trying to load that copy,
`emacs-history', also raises the same error.

However, something weird is going on. If the file is in c:/ when I try to load
it, then the error is raised. If the file is in c:/mydir/ when I try to load it,
then it loads with no error. I do not understand this at all. Exactly the same
file, different behavior. And it doesn't matter whether I make the file copy
using Emacs C-x C-w or using Windows copy+paste.
 
Dunno if simply attaching the file will enable you to reproduce
the bug - hope so.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.91.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2010-01-02 on PRETEST
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'