Subject: Re: bug#5308: 23.1.91; Geometry quirk on OpenSuSE 11.2

From: Steve Revilak <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 22:49:11 -0500

Jan,

Thanks, I really appreciate your taking the time to investigate.

> I think there might be a bug in the window manager lurking in the background.
> It resizes Emacs a lot if Emacs is too big for the display.
> But if we set size hints at startup, this problem goes away.
>
> We used to do that, but the discussion starting at
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-10/msg00033.html
> introduced a patch to not set wm hints at startup.

That's a very interesting thread.  I never realized that the startup
process was so tricky.

> So it is basiacally the old startup problem again, but in a different form.
> I don't know if there is much we can do about this.  I'll keep looking, 
> but as this isn't something that makes Emacs unusable, it is a low 
> priority.

Agreed.  It's a minor issue, and emacs is quite usable despite it.

Steve