Subject: bug#53073: 29.0.50; Emacs daemon --with-pgtk does not show modus-vivendi cursor

From: Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2022 13:02:00 +0200

Dear maintainers,

While using the pgtk build, any emacsclient frame that starts the daemon
fails to show the cursor on the current window when the active theme is
'modus-vivendi'.

Steps to reproduce:

* Include just the following in the 'init.el' file:

    (add-hook 'after-init-hook (lambda () (load-theme 'modus-vivendi)))

* Launch Emacs with:

    emacsclient -c -a ''

* Notice that the cursor is not visible in the scratch buffer.

* Type 'C-h o' (or 'M-x describe-symbol') and search for 'cursor'.

* In the resulting Help buffer, notice that the background attribute is
  "#ffffff" (white), which is correct.

* No white cursor is visible (see attached screenshot).

Original report: <https://github.com/protesilaos/modus-themes/issues/7>.

* * *

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.31, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2022-01-03 built on kronos
Repository revision: ab5ee3e29e916d4009b301841e9780aad564a6a0
Repository branch: makepkg
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-sound=alsa --with-modules --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt
 --without-gconf --without-gsettings --with-native-compilation
 --with-xinput2 --with-pgtk --without-xaw3d --with-sound=no
 --without-gpm --without-compress-install
 '--program-transform-name=s/\([ec]tags\)/\1.emacs/'
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now
 'CXXFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS''

system-configuration-features
=> "ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2
LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG
RSVG SECCOMP SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP XIM GTK3
ZLIB"

* * *

Thank you for your time!

All the best,
Protesilaos

-- 
Protesilaos Stavrou
https://protesilaos.com