Subject: Re: bug#53070: 27.2; Message "Server closed connection" not verbose enough

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2022 08:13:42 -0800

Tim Landscheidt <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> It would be more helpful if the error message read "Server
> news.gmane.io closed connection" or, to avoid any ambiguity,
> "NNTP server news.gmane.io closed connection".

Thank you for reporting this, and I think Robert's patch would be very
welcome.

> (Side note: If such a hiccup happens, it sometimes appears
> that the *Group* buffer is not updated with regard to number
> of unread messages per group, etc. for /other/ servers that
> were successfully contacted.  I don't know if Gnus is more
> aggressive than it needs to be here; if it encounters an er-
> ror when trying to contact a POP3 server, it will just ask
> nicely and continue on.)

How recent is your Emacs? In 032969e8 (end of October) I put in a patch
which switched NNTP failures from raising an error -- which interrupted
the whole update process -- to simply reporting the failure. What you
describe sounds like the behavior I'd observed before making that
change.