Subject: Re: bug#53062: 29.0.50; Inserting charger causes keyboard event <dead-circumflex>

From: Theodor Thornhill <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2022 08:27:01 +0100

On 7 January 2022 07:48:18 CET, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 22:48:53 +0100
>> From:  Theodor Thornhill via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> 
>> So, I noticed that everytime I insert my charger the echo area echos
>> "dead-circumflex-".  Obviously I:
>> 
>> (global-set-key (kbd "<dead-circumflex>") 'save-buffers-kill-emacs)
>> 
>> Now everytime I insert my laptop charger emacs is killed.
>> 
>> Is this expected?  I pulled and built emacs from source just now, and
>> still get that behavior.
>
>Is what expected?  If you bind that function key to
>save-buffers-kill-emacs, it is expected that whenever that function
>key is "pressed", Emacs will exit, yes.
>

This was just meant as a joke to clarify it was a keyboard event :) 

>If you were asking about the dead-circumflex function key event being
>generated when you plug your charger, I think it's something that
>is local to your system -- some piece of software generates key input
>event when you do that.  Emacs just responds to the input events it
>receives from the OS.
>

I guess you're right, I just find it very strange it happens. I'll check if it happens to other window managers than stumpwm. 

>If you cannot figure out how to disable that "feature", you could
>perhaps bind that key to 'ignore', then Emacs will process and ignore
>that key.

This is a usable workaround, I guess