Subject: Re: bug#53058: etc/DEBUG could say more about --enable-check-lisp-object-type

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 16:46:24 -0700

Hello,

On Thu 06 Jan 2022 at 10:11PM +02, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 11:20:19 -0700
>>
>> > Comparisons with structures, like foo == Qnil, aren't guaranteed to
>> > work in GDB.  --enable-check-lisp-object-type makes Lisp objects be
>> > structures rather than simple scalar values.
>>
>> Thanks -- how about the attached?
>
> Thanks, but the text there is inaccurate: NILP should still work with
> structures, only == comparison probably won't.
>
> I'm actually not sure we should describe such subtleties in etc/DEBUG.

Fair -- what do you think about just saying that certain gdb features
might not work, so one thing that you can try is to drop the flag?  The
claim that it doesn't affect debugging at all is what threw me off
recently, so that's the thing I'd really like to improve, I guess.

-- 
Sean Whitton