Subject: bug#53050: closed (Re: bug#53050: 29.0.50; freetype font drivers reports invalid weight)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 13:49:02 +0000

Your bug report

#53050: 29.0.50; freetype font drivers reports invalid weight

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
53050: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=53050
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#53050: 29.0.50; freetype font drivers reports invalid weight
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 15:48:38 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 19:54:42 +0800
> From:  Po Lu via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> 
> Do `M-x set-frame-font RET' on a build using a fontconfig-based font
> driver (such as ftcrhb) and hit TAB.  There will be many fonts like
> this:
> 
>   -1ASC-Liberation Mono-regular-italic-normal-*-*-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1
>   -1ASC-Liberation Mono-regular-normal-normal-*-*-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1
> 
> Where the weight specification is `regular'.  The documentation for the
> `weight' spec, however, says:
> 
> ‘:weight’
>      Font weight—one of the symbols (from densest to faintest)
>      ‘ultra-bold’, ‘extra-bold’, ‘bold’, ‘semi-bold’, ‘normal’,
>      ‘semi-light’, ‘light’, ‘extra-light’, or ‘ultra-light’.  On text
>      terminals which support variable-brightness text, any weight
>      greater than normal is displayed as extra bright, and any weight
>      less than normal is displayed as half-bright.
> 
> Which doesn't include `regular' as a valid weight.  In Emacs 28, the
> same fonts' weight attributes are also simply `normal'.

Thanks, fixed.

Subject: 29.0.50; freetype font drivers reports invalid weight
From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 19:54:42 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Do `M-x set-frame-font RET' on a build using a fontconfig-based font
driver (such as ftcrhb) and hit TAB.  There will be many fonts like
this:

  -1ASC-Liberation Mono-regular-italic-normal-*-*-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1
  -1ASC-Liberation Mono-regular-normal-normal-*-*-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1

Where the weight specification is `regular'.  The documentation for the
`weight' spec, however, says:

‘:weight’
     Font weight—one of the symbols (from densest to faintest)
     ‘ultra-bold’, ‘extra-bold’, ‘bold’, ‘semi-bold’, ‘normal’,
     ‘semi-light’, ‘light’, ‘extra-light’, or ‘ultra-light’.  On text
     terminals which support variable-brightness text, any weight
     greater than normal is displayed as extra bright, and any weight
     less than normal is displayed as half-bright.

Which doesn't include `regular' as a valid weight.  In Emacs 28, the
same fonts' weight attributes are also simply `normal'.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 93, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.30, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2022-01-06 built on trinity
Repository revision: 2ab73286b7a58eb983da21bca8b781ec884eb996
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Fedora Linux 35 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure --cache-file=/tmp/ccache --with-xwidgets --with-xinput2'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG
RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11
XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date seq gv
subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 44450 6418)
 (symbols 48 5670 1)
 (strings 32 17884 1243)
 (string-bytes 1 577300)
 (vectors 16 10772)
 (vector-slots 8 155225 10811)
 (floats 8 21 51)
 (intervals 56 202 0)
 (buffers 992 10))