Subject: Re: Dash To Dock 71 not working properly with Gnome Shell 41

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 19:27:23 +0200

Am Freitag, dem 07.01.2022 um 06:15 +0000 schrieb raid5atemyhomework:
> Hello,
> 
> > Hi,
> > 
> > Am Freitag, dem 07.01.2022 um 03:56 +0000 schrieb
> > raid5atemyhomework:
> > 
> > > Hello Liliana,
> > > [...]
> > > It may be a related bug, but this may also be unique to how Guix
> > > packages both programs. So I want to know if other users on Guix
> > > are seeing the same thing as well.
> > 
> > We don't do rigorous integration tests for GNOME Shell extensions
> > and to my knowledge you are the first one to report that bug.
> 
> It's probably because "Use built-in theme" is default-enabled and
> this bug seems to appear with this setting disabled.  Disabling the
> setting lets me set up some more settings for the dock which is why I
> prefer this setting disabled.
Are you still experiencing this with the current Dash To Dock on Gnome
42?

> > but I doubt something like an extension misbehaving (i.e. not even
> > raising an error that GNOME Shell detects) would end up there.
> 
> It's JavaScript.  If you have a browser and open its console while
> browsing most websites, you'll see a fair number of error messages
> there, even though the site may be operating perfectly well as far as
> you can tell --- errors don't cause a typical JavaScript application
> to crash because an error will just send it back to the event
> mainloop and it will keep on going on despite bunches of JavaScript
> errors.  That's why logs for `gnome-shell` are fairly vital, and it's
> getting thrown into the console where they are not recorded.  Sigh. 
> More coding to do to make Guix useful.
I think you're missing the point here; typically, GNOME Shell has the
ability to detect errors in the initialization of extensions and report
them through looking glass, and as far as I know GNOME also writes to
Xorg logs.  Even with that said, I doubt you will find any useful logs
anywhere due to the nature of what you're trying to debug rather than
Guix trying its best to get in your way of debugging.