Subject: Re: Dash To Dock 71 not working properly with Gnome Shell 41

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2022 06:23:03 +0100

Hi,

Am Freitag, dem 07.01.2022 um 03:56 +0000 schrieb raid5atemyhomework:
> Hello Liliana,
> 
> [...]
> 
> 
> It may be a *related* bug, but this may also be unique to how Guix
> packages both programs.  So I want to know if other users on Guix are
> seeing the same thing as well.
We don't do rigorous integration tests for GNOME Shell extensions and
to my knowledge you are the first one to report that bug.

> Given the default `(service gnome-desktop-service-type)`, where does
> `gnome-shell` put its logs?
> There are no logs for Gnome Shell specifically on `/var/log`, it does
> not print anything in `/var/log/Xorg.0.log`, and `info guix` does not
> describe any log output directory for `gnome-desktop-configuration`,
> so I don't know where Gnome Shell on Guix puts its logs.  Does it
> just get printed to console?
There's your ~/.local/share/xorg logs that you haven't mentioned yet,
but I doubt something like an extension misbehaving (i.e. not even
raising an error that GNOME Shell detects) would end up there.  I'm not
aware of any other GNOME-specific logs and their locations, but since
it's either /var/log or somewhere in your $HOME/.something, I don't
think Guix would do anything to manipulate the output path.  You could
try checking for logs in GDM's home as well, which requires sudo to ls.

Cheers