Subject: bug#5303: 23.1.91; Cannot load .emacs-history from savehist.el

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:46:47 +0100

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Another question is why fd is -2.  That means `openp' detected that
>> C:/the-file.el is a ``magic'' file, i.e. it has a file handler.  But
>> this happens in a recursive call to `load', the one where, as Michael
>> says:
>>
>>> the last action I can see is disabling Tramp' file name completion
>>> handler, and calling `load', again.
>>
>> It looks like disabling Tramp's file name completion handler does not
>> prevent `openp' from thinking that C:/the-file.el has a handler.
>
> Tramp inhibits the file name handler of `load'. `openp' checks for a
> file name handler of `file-exists-p', which is not inhibited.

But how is tramp-completion-file-name-handler involved there?