Subject: Re: bug#5303: 23.1.91; Cannot load .emacs-history from savehist.el

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 21:03:30 +0100

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 8:33 PM, Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Trying to load the attached file raises the error "End of file during
>> parsing: c:/.emacs-history".
>>
>> There is no real end-of-file problem, however: This file was created
>> by savehist.el using Emacs 23.1, and it loads fine in all releases of
>> Emacs (20 through 23).  An error is raised only for the Emacs
>> 23.1.91.1 pretest.
>>
>> However, something weird is going on. If the file is in c:/ when I try
>> to load it, then the error is raised. If the file is in c:/mydir/ when
>> I try to load it, then it loads with no error. I do not understand
>> this at all. Exactly the same file, different behavior. And it doesn't
>> matter whether I make the file copy using Emacs C-x C-w or using
>> Windows copy+paste.
>
> I'm afraid I can't reproduce this.  There's no error loading the file.
> Maybe it's a Windows-only bug.

I can confirm the bug is there. If I do

   M-x load-file

and the file is named c:/emacs-history it fails, but not if the name
is c:/dl/emacs-history.

The problem is in file-name-handler-alist. Removing
tramp-completion-file-name-handler makes the error go away. But
unfortunately that is not TRTTD...

Here is the command to remove it:

(setq file-name-handler-alist
      (delete '("\\`\\([a-zA-Z]:\\)?/[^/]*\\'" .
tramp-completion-file-name-handler)
	      file-name-handler-alist))