Subject: bug#53024: 29.0.50; Wishlist: Byte-compile loaddefs.el?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 19:14:57 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>>   debug-early-backtrace()
>>   debug-early(error (void-function display-warning))
>>   display-warning(comp "Cannot look up eln file as no source file
>> was found for
>> /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/emacs-29.0.50/lisp/loaddefs.elc")
>>   load("loaddefs")
>
> Is this consistent?  That is, if you repeat the "make" command after
> the failure, does it succeed to continue past this point?  If it does
> not, is it true that lisp/loaddefs.el is not there?

Perhaps this is a bug in the RPM build script.  That is, now that
loaddefs files are compiled, it only copies over the .elc files to
rpmbuild/BUILD, and not the .el files, or something along those lines?

In any case, perhaps we should blacklist the loaddefs files from being
native-compiled?  It doesn't make much sense to native-compile them, I
think.  But I don't know whether we have any machinery to do that...