Subject: [bug#53020] [PATCH] gnu: racket: Backport fix for .desktop files.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 09:59:59 +0100

Hi Philip,

On Wed, 05 Jan 2022 at 01:06, Philip McGrath <[email-masked]> wrote:

> This commit backports a repair by Matthew Flatt for Racket's
> creation and installation of '.desktop' files in tethered Racket
> installations. Guix's 'racket' package is structured as a tethered
> installation, so the Guix package now installs 'drracket.desktop'
> and 'slideshow.desktop' properly, for example. For further upstream
> discussion, see: <https://github.com/racket/racket/issues/4079>.

In this mentioned issue, it reads:

        I will send a patch to Guix in the hope of getting more people
        to try 11ccee3 and ece8b17 before the 8.4 release.

<https://github.com/racket/racket/issues/4079#issuecomment-1005397718>

> * gnu/packages/patches/racket-minimal-backport-4079-fix.patch: New
> patch.
> * gnu/local.mk (dist_patch_DATA): Add it.
> * gnu/packages/racket.scm (racket-minimal)[source]: Use it.
> (extend-layer): Set config-tethered-apps-dir.

So my naive question is: is it worth to include now and not just wait
for the next Racket 8.4 release? (One or two months if Racket keep the 4
releases per year schedule)

Other said, for testing new Racket features in the Guix ecosystem, it
appears to me easier to use transformation:

    guix build racket-minimal --with-commit=ece8b17

(or something along this line :-))

BTW, thanks for bridging the gap between Guix and Racket and it can be
cool if Guix can help Racket. :-)

Cheers,
simon