Subject: Re: bug#53015: [PATCH 0/4] Add mangohud (update dear-imgui)

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 23:11:54 -0500

Hi John,

John Kehayias <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> This patch (2/4 build option for spdlog, part of the MangoHud patch
> series) may be superseded by
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=b1542d59606919d0da04914fa6916b85354e2f89
> (CCing Nicolas, hope that's okay!) I've built MangoHud with the shared
> spdlog before, seems to work.

That should solve the problem, yes!

> However, given what spdlog has in its documentation, I wonder if it
> would be better to default to the static version as before? I think
> the "-fpic" build option would also work for shared linking in
> general? Or does that not work for nheko, which this change was for I
> believe?

Do you mean this:
https://github.com/gabime/spdlog/wiki/How-to-use-spdlog-in-DLLs ?

> I'm not really sure though, nor have a strong opinion, just going
> based on spdlog's info and that some projects (like MangoHud) build
> spdlog as a static library by default when bundling. I'm guessing it
> is for performance reasons, though I don't know if that is realized.

Typically in Guix the libraries are offered as shared objects by
default; and when desirable a static output can be added to which the
static objects are copied.

You could add a static output if you have such a need :-).

Maxim