Subject: bug#53011: Possible to Update qtbase-5 to v5.15.8?

From: Florian Bruhin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 19:04:57 +0100

Hey,

qutebrowser upstream here.

On Tue, Jan 04, 2022 at 05:35:54PM +0000, Jaft wrote:
> Partially because it's the latest version but primarily because there's a bug in the current version for QTwebengine.

Note that qtbase releases after 5.15.2 are commercial-only
unfortunately:

https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-offering-changes-2020
https://www.qt.io/blog/commercial-lts-qt-5.15.3-released

However, QtWebEngine source releases are exempt from that, due to
containing third-party LGPL code, so its source for newer releases is
publicly available:
https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtwebengine.git/refs/tags

Most distributions I'm aware of are still keeping updated with those
releases, as they should work just fine against an older qtbase.

Alternatively, to fix the issues with missing text, backporting this
patch should suffice:
https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtwebengine-chromium/+/374232

However, newer QtWebEngine releases come with a variety of security
fixes and even a Chromium upgrade (from 83 to 87), so I'd highly
recommend keeping it up to date.

Florian

-- 
            [email-masked] | https://www.qutebrowser.org 
       https://bruhin.software/ | https://github.com/sponsors/The-Compiler/
       GPG: 916E B0C8 FD55 A072 | https://the-compiler.org/pubkey.asc
             I love long mails! | https://email.is-not-s.ms/