Subject: bug#53005: [PATCH 1/1] gnu: glibc: Preserve "__pthread_key_create" symbol.

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 14:21:55 -0500

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 06:34:26PM -0500, Simon South wrote:
> Avoid a potential crash in multithreaded applications by preserving the
> pthread library's "__pthread_key_create" symbol, used by libgcc to detect the
> use of threads in an application.
> 
> Fixes <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/53005>.
> 
> * gnu/packages/base.scm (glibc)[arguments]: Add "#:strip-flags" with
> "--keep-symbol=__pthread_key_create" appended to the default set.

Thanks for analysing this bug and sending a patch.

Because the proposed fix changes glibc, it will require rebuilding the
entire distro. That's expensive, so, we need to think about it some more
before deciding what to do.

First, how was the LUKS2 volume created? Was it created by Guix System?
Is it the default type of LUKS volume created by Guix? I see that our
cryptsetup package has "with-default-luks-format=LUKS1". I'm trying to
understand how many users will be affected by this bug.

Second, do other distros have to apply the same workaround with
'--keep-symbol'? Like, is this problem widespread? Is Guix doing
something wrong that requires the workaround?

Sorry if you already answered these questions in your previous messages.