Subject: bug#53001: 29.0.50; xwidget-webkit: no mouseover text on pgtk

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 15:22:36 +0800

Akira Kyle <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 10:44 PM Po Lu <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> By "mouseover text" you mean tooltips, correct?  Are you running Emacs
>> in Wayland or are you running it in Xwayland?
>>
>
> I think different people refer to them differently, so I think some do
> call them tooltips. Concretely what I mean here is when the mouse
> hovers over an html <img> tag with the title field set, there should
> be a box that pops up next to the mouse with the value of that field
> set. So hovering the mouse over <img src='img.png' title="value">
> would display "value".

> This issue is only on emacs --with-pgt. The mousover text works
> correctly in emacs --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 under xwayland.

Yes, but are you running it under Wayland, or is it running under X?

The PGTK port can run under both Wayland and X through GDK, and
different GDK backends behave very differently when it comes to
displaying tooltips from widgets inside offscreen windows.

IOW, what is the value of (pgtk-backend-display-class)?

Thanks.