Subject: 29.0.50; Help descriptions from menu bar items don't appear in the echo area

From: Daniel Martín <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 01:10:40 +0100

Severity: minor

Steps to reproduce the problem:

emacs -Q
Click on File, place the mouse over "Visit New File", but don't click it.

Expected results:

"Specify a new file's name, to edit the file", which is the value for
the :help keyword of that menu item, appears in the echo area, or
perhaps in a tooltip.

Actual results:

Nothing appears in the echo area.

If you run Emacs in a console, it works correctly (press F10 to open the
menu bar).

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin20.6.0, NS appkit-2022.60 Version 11.6 (Build 20G165))
 of 2022-01-03 built on Daniels-MacBook-Pro.local
Repository revision: 5c63786cb9873ab2b61b5ad511c84df9cd56ce87
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2022
System Description:  macOS 11.6

Configured features:
ACL DBUS GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY
KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP
XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_ES.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail shortdoc vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr
vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs cus-edit dabbrev sourcegraph pcase
whitespace smerge-mode diff add-log log-view pcvs-util pp pulse color
xref project misearch multi-isearch find-dired ffap files-x grep compile
vc cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs disass help-fns radix-tree cl-print debug
backtrace cus-start cus-load info-look vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher
bug-reference org-element avl-tree generator ol-eww eww xdg url-queue
thingatpt mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect
gnus-search eieio-opt cl-extra help-mode speedbar ezimage dframe
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr
pixel-fill kinsoku svg dom browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
url-vars gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message mailcap yank-media rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util
text-property-search mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit ol-docview
doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi
org-link-doi org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color
ring org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic json map
bibtex iso8601 time-date ol rx org-keys oc org-compat advice org-macs
org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
dired-aux cl-loaddefs cl-lib seq gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv dired dired-loaddefs info iso-transl tooltip eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 548405 42098)
 (symbols 48 25559 1)
 (strings 32 100645 4817)
 (string-bytes 1 3405349)
 (vectors 16 56224)
 (vector-slots 8 1251101 221644)
 (floats 8 400 257)
 (intervals 56 40819 250)
 (buffers 992 38))