Subject: bug#5299: custom-reevaluate-setting / custom-initialize-delay

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 21:30:53 -0800

> [ Bringing this back to #5299 where it belongs ]
> 
> > (setq message-send-mail-function 'mailclient-send-it)
> >
> > shell-command-to-string: Searching for program: no such 
> > file or directory, /bin/bash
> 
> Can you get a backtrace of that?
> [with (setq debug-on-error t) and if
> that doesn't work with additionally (setq 
> debug-ignored-errors nil) and/or
> maybe even (setq debug-on-signal t)]
> 
> Also, can you explain why "bash" shows up here?  Do you have 
> the envvar SHELL set to "/bin/bash" somehow?

Yes, in my Windows settings (since I use Cygwin).

With those 3 variables set, emacs -Q:

Help > Send Bug Report

Type "ffffffffff" as the subject.

Get this backtrace immediately:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "idna")
  require(idna)
  (condition-case nil (require (quote idna)) (file-error))
  (and (condition-case nil (require ...) (file-error)) (mm-coding-system-p
(quote utf-8)) (executable-find idna-program) (string= (idna-to-ascii
"räksmörgås") "xn--rksmrgs-5wao1o") t)
  eval((and (condition-case nil (require ...) (file-error)) (mm-coding-system-p
(quote utf-8)) (executable-find idna-program) (string= (idna-to-ascii
"räksmörgås") "xn--rksmrgs-5wao1o") t))
  custom-initialize-reset(message-use-idna (and (condition-case nil (require
...) (file-error)) (mm-coding-system-p (quote utf-8)) (executable-find
idna-program) (string= (idna-to-ascii "räksmörgås") "xn--rksmrgs-5wao1o") t))
  custom-declare-variable(message-use-idna (and (condition-case nil (require
...) (file-error)) (mm-coding-system-p (quote utf-8)) (executable-find
idna-program) (string= (idna-to-ascii "räksmörgås") "xn--rksmrgs-5wao1o") t)
("c:/Emacs-23-1-92/lisp/gnus/message.elc" . 59102) :version "22.1" :group
message-headers :link (custom-manual "(message)IDNA") :type (choice (const :tag
"Ask" ask) (const :tag "Never" nil) (const :tag "Always" t)))
  message-mail("[email-masked]" "23.1.92; fffffffff" nil nil nil nil nil)
  compose-mail("[email-masked]" "23.1.92; fffffffff")
  report-emacs-bug("fffffffff" [134217786 40 103 101 116 101 110 118 32 34 83 72
69 76 76 34 41 return (help-echo #<frame emacs@DRADAMS-LAP1 0x2f37800> "Search
forward for a string" nil nil -1) (help-echo #<frame emacs@DRADAMS-LAP1
0x2f37800> "mouse-2: visit this file in other window" #<window 3 on
drews-lisp-20> #<buffer drews-lisp-20> 523) 134217848 115 101 116 45 118 97 114
return 100 101 98 117 103 45 111 110 45 101 114 114 111 114 return 116 return
134217848 115 101 116 ...])
  call-interactively(report-emacs-bug nil nil)

Starting over, emacs -Q, with 2/3 vars set, not `debug-ignored-errors': same
thing.

Starting over, emacs -Q, with only `debug-on-error' set:

I get to buffer *mail to [email-masked]*. I type some text "xxxxxxxxxxx",
then `C-c C-c', reply "yes". I get this backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Searching for program" "no such file
or directory" "/bin/bash")
  call-process("/bin/bash" nil t nil "-c" "uncompface")
  shell-command-to-string("uncompface")
  (string-match "^0x" (shell-command-to-string "uncompface"))
  (and (string-match "^0x" (shell-command-to-string "uncompface"))
(executable-find "icontopbm"))
  (if (featurep (quote xemacs)) (featurep (quote xface)) (and (string-match
"^0x" ...) (executable-find "icontopbm")))
  (and (not noninteractive) (gnus-image-type-available-p (quote xbm)) (if
(featurep ...) (featurep ...) (and ... ...)) (quote head))
  eval((and (not noninteractive) (gnus-image-type-available-p (quote xbm)) (if
(featurep ...) (featurep ...) (and ... ...)) (quote head)))
  custom-initialize-reset(gnus-treat-display-x-face (and (not noninteractive)
(gnus-image-type-available-p (quote xbm)) (if (featurep ...) (featurep ...) (and
... ...)) (quote head)))
  custom-declare-variable(gnus-treat-display-x-face (and (not noninteractive)
(gnus-image-type-available-p (quote xbm)) (if (featurep ...) (featurep ...) (and
... ...)) (quote head)) ("c:/Emacs-23-1-92/lisp/gnus/gnus-art.elc" . 52832)
:group gnus-article-treat :version "21.1" :link (custom-manual
"(gnus)Customizing Articles") :link (custom-manual "(gnus)X-Face") :type (choice
(const :tag "Off" nil) (const :tag "Header" head)) :set #[(symbol value)
"\302\303!\204

HTH.