Subject: Re: bug#52977: [PATCH 0/6] Update some minetest packages

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 00:18:17 +0100

Ludovic Courtès schreef op wo 05-01-2022 om 23:30 [+0100]:
> > A TODO for the git-fetch updater:
> >    * [ ] following redirects (to avoid mixed case -> lower case
> > changes
> > and .git suffixes in GitHub URLs)
> >    * [ ] Support (let ((commit ...) (revision ...)) [...]) so more
> > packages can be updated automatically
> 
> Hmm wasn’t it the reason we introduced ‘package-definition-location’?

Yes, but it has been a while ago so I preferred to not overcomplicate
the patch series more.  There's also the complication that
(revision ...) might need to be incremented. Yet another complication:
minetest mods can have two separate version schemes: the
‘release titles’ on content.minetest.net, and the version they use in
forum posts or git repos.  For minetest-ethereal, they are different,
and worse, the latest version on content.minetest.net doesn't have a
corresponding version on the forum.

Hopefully there's some kind of solution, and presumably
package-definition-location will be part of that solution,
but it will probably be messy.

Or maybe the solution is to ask upstream nicely to give every release
a version number and switch to ContentDB release titles if they
disagree.

Anyway, I'd prefer to leave these complications for future patches.

Greetings,
Maxime.