Subject: Re: bug#52973: Adding a few context-menu-mode commands

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 12:09:48 +0000

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I just wanted to apply this patch, then I noticed that this would
>> also change the default browser for EWW from html.duckduckgo.com to
>> duckduckgo.com.  The effect is that every search query it redirected
>> to the JS-free version.  Any ideas how to fix this?  Should I just
>> remove the EWW integration, or change the DuckDuckGo URL to the
>> HTML-version?
>
> Another option would be to add a new webjump engine for HTML
> DuckDuckGo, and make it default, then it could be used in eww.  Or
> change the existing DuckDuckGo to HTML, then also add JS DuckDuckGo
> for users who prefer JS-based DuckDuckGo.

As the "default search engine" is a new option, changing the default to
HTML DuckDuckGo should be fine.  I personally use it as by default
search engine, but don't know how popular or unpopular it is.

Adding the default DDG (and perhaps the lite version as well) as
alternatives seems sensible too.

-- 
	Philip Kaludercic