Subject: Re: bug#52969: Shortdoc "string" group leads to backtrace

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 16:53:56 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> IOW, someone will have to try it.
> Of course, there are the obvious disadvantages of spending time to
> compile `loaddefs.el` and the added space used by `loaddefs.elc`, tho
> a lot of it would be recovered by the space saved in etc/DOC.

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> I seem to remember that one of the motivations for trying it out had to
> do with having an `;;;###autoload` cookie on a piece of code which used an
> autoloaded macro, so loading `loaddef.el` would cause (auto)loading the
> package which provides the macro.
>
> Byte compiling `loaddefs.el` was a way to fix this problem.

Right.  So I guess somebody just has to try it again and see whether
there's any reasons not to byte-compile the file.  I'll open a new bug
report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no