Subject: Re: bug#52951: Including Swedish calendar localization (sv-kalender.el) in Emacs

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 02:20:04 -0800

Mattias Engdegård <[email-masked]> writes:

>> (setq calendar-time-display-form
>>       '(24-hours ":" minutes))
>
> Standard Swedish style uses a dot as separator; the colon appears to
> have crept in as a fairly recent Anglicism (and I think it looks a bit
> tacky).

According to the authoritative Swedish writing guide Svenska
skrivregler:

    "11.6.3 Klockslag och tidsrymder

    Klockslag och tidsrymder som uttrycks i siffror skrivs enligt
    24-timmarsklockan. Som skiljetecken mellan timsiffror, minutsiffror
    och sekundsiffror kan punkt eller kolon användas. Punkt är den
    traditionella svenska konventionen, medan kolon är internationell
    standard."

    Svenska skrivregler, Språkrådet, Liber 2008, s. 162.

So using either is accepted, and it is only a matter of preference if
you use the traditional or the international style.

IMHO, at least for our purposes in Emacs, it is better to use the
international standard in this case.