Subject: bug#52948: 28.0.90; NS variant and X11 client are not separated on macOS Monterey, Version 12.1

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 12:23:14 +0000

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 10:44:56AM +0100, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> > 
> > So is there anything to do here, or should this bug report be closed?
> 
> Yes, it needs some work. The NS variant does not use the dumped
> image inside its application bundle although this image is installed
> there:

I disagree. Since Peter didn't request a bundled install I think it's
plain wrong for Emacs to look for _any_ files in the bundle.

> If Emacs.pdmp in /usr/local tree it is used from there. If it's not
> there Emacs loads a lot of ELisp files before it opens any frame and
> obviously never uses Contents/MacOS/libexec/Emacs.pdmp or
> ./libexec/Emacs.pdmp, relative to the executable.

I feel I should point out that Peter is not requesting that Emacs
looks in the bundle if it fails to *find* emacs.pdmp, he's requesting
that it looks in the bundle if it finds an emacs.pdmp file and that
one fails to load because it's for a different build.

As I've said before, Peter wants to be able to do a UNIX style install
and then replace arbitrary files in the install and still have
everything work.

The obvious solution is for him to either have it installed under two
different prefixes, or just use the bundled install for his NS build
since he apparently wants to run it from the app bundle anyway.
-- 
Alan Third