Subject: Re: bug#52948: 28.0.90; NS variant and X11 client are not separated on macOS Monterey, Version 12.1

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 17:03:47 +0100

> Am 2.1.2022 um 15:41 schrieb Alan Third <[email-masked]>:
> 
> But the emacs executable is installed in /usr/local/bin or wherever.
> The app bundle is there purely as a helper for running from the GUI.

First I performed:

	root 258 /\  l /usr/local/bin/emacs*
	lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel       13 2022-01-02 14:49 /usr/local/bin/emacs -> emacs-28.0.90
	-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 16686568 2018-06-26 21:54 /usr/local/bin/emacs-26.1
	-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel  6544176 2021-01-30 17:29 /usr/local/bin/emacs-27.1
	-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel  6544464 2021-01-30 18:37 /usr/local/bin/emacs-27.1.91
	-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel  7052688 2021-12-26 22:31 /usr/local/bin/emacs-27.2
	-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel  6962224 2021-12-23 10:44 /usr/local/bin/emacs-28.0.50
	-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel  6596656 2022-01-02 14:49 /usr/local/bin/emacs-28.0.90
	-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel    78416 2022-01-02 14:49 /usr/local/bin/emacsclient

	root 259 /\  mv -v  /usr/local/bin/emacs-28.0.90  /usr/local/bin/emacs-28.0.90-X11-c11
	/usr/local/bin/emacs-28.0.90 -> /usr/local/bin/emacs-28.0.90-X11-c11

	root 260 /\  mv -v /usr/local/bin/emacs /usr/local/bin/emacs-symlink
	/usr/local/bin/emacs -> /usr/local/bin/emacs-symlink

	root 261 /\  l /usr/local/bin/emacs*
	-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 16686568 2018-06-26 21:54 /usr/local/bin/emacs-26.1
	-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel  6544176 2021-01-30 17:29 /usr/local/bin/emacs-27.1
	-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel  6544464 2021-01-30 18:37 /usr/local/bin/emacs-27.1.91
	-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel  7052688 2021-12-26 22:31 /usr/local/bin/emacs-27.2
	-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel  6962224 2021-12-23 10:44 /usr/local/bin/emacs-28.0.50
	-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel  6596656 2022-01-02 14:49 /usr/local/bin/emacs-28.0.90-X11-c11
	lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel       13 2022-01-02 14:49 /usr/local/bin/emacs-symlink -> emacs-28.0.90
	-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel    78416 2022-01-02 14:49 /usr/local/bin/emacsclient

Then I invoked as mortal user '/Applications/AquaEmacs-28.0.90.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q' and had no problems to run shell, calendar, visit some directory, look into a tar.xz or a tar.gz file and also quit. In my opinion this proves that /usr/local/bin/emacs or /usr/local/bin/emacs-VERSION are not needed by the NS variant.

--
Greetings

  Pete

I am concerned for you to enjoy yourselves within the limits of British decency.
				– Ivor Cutler