Subject: bug#52945: 29.0.50; Recursive load of uni-special-lowercase.el

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 02:18:41 -0500

Package: Emacs
Version: 29.0.50

Report by Eli to `emacs-devel`:

There's some strange problem with this file: when building Emacs after
it is updated, byte-compilation of various Lisp files fails with error
message like this:

  File local-variables error: (error Recursive load
/home/eliz/git/emacs/branch/lisp/international/uni-special-lowercase.el
/home/eliz/git/emacs/branch/lisp/international/uni-special-lowercase.el
/home/eliz/git/emacs/branch/lisp/international/uni-special-lowercase.el
/home/eliz/git/emacs/branch/lisp/international/uni-special-lowercase.el
/home/eliz/git/emacs/branch/lisp/international/uni-special-lowercase.el)

  In toplevel form:
  international/mule.el:1833:8: Error: Recursive load:
"/home/eliz/git/emacs/branch/lisp/international/uni-special-lowercase.el",
"/home/eliz/git/emacs/branch/lisp/international/uni-special-lowercase.el",
"/home/eliz/git/emacs/branch/lisp/international/uni-special-lowercase.el",
"/home/eliz/git/emacs/branch/lisp/international/uni-special-lowercase.el",
"/home/eliz/git/emacs/branch/lisp/international/uni-special-lowercase.el",
"/home/eliz/git/emacs/branch/lisp/international/uni-special-uppercase.el"
  Makefile:290: recipe for target '../lisp/international/mule.elc' failed

I guess we try to lower-case some parts of the file-local variables
section, and that causes recursive load or something?

I couldn't get around this except by removing the file-local vars from
the file.