Subject: bug#52943: Cannot build guix as part of guix system reconfigure after commit 224d437fb4 on aarch64

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 21:13:54 -0500

On Sat, Jan 01, 2022 at 04:54:51PM -0700, Aiko Kyle wrote:
> I'm new to guix so I'm really struggling to debug this strange issue.
> On the latest master I can run 'guix pull', and the latest guix seems
> to build just fine, however when I go to do 'guix system reconfigure',
> building guix fails the check phase. I've attached the log file. After
> some help on IRC, I understand that during 'guix system reconfigure'
> ends up building a previous version of itself via the "boot-stripping"
> process in gnu/packages/package-management.scm. I followed this linked
> list of commits backwards and found that commits prior to commit
> 224d437fb4 which updates this guix package definition to version 14
> which is commit 2a621f1 build just fine, however all the versions of
> that package afterwards fail at the same place during 'guix system
> reconfigure', in the check phase, with the same tests failing. At this
> point, I think I lack sufficient knowledge of guix to debug this issue
> further and it looks like cuirass is so backlogged on aarch64 that is
> still hasn't gotten to building these guix versions so I can't compare
> with it's build attempts. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'd
> really like to be running the latest guix from master.

Thanks, this has already been reported as
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/52908>