Subject: bug#52943: Cannot build guix as part of guix system reconfigure after commit 224d437fb4 on aarch64

From: Aiko Kyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 16:54:51 -0700

Hi,

I'm new to guix so I'm really struggling to debug this strange issue.
On the latest master I can run 'guix pull', and the latest guix seems
to build just fine, however when I go to do 'guix system reconfigure',
building guix fails the check phase. I've attached the log file. After
some help on IRC, I understand that during 'guix system reconfigure'
ends up building a previous version of itself via the "boot-stripping"
process in gnu/packages/package-management.scm. I followed this linked
list of commits backwards and found that commits prior to commit
224d437fb4 which updates this guix package definition to version 14
which is commit 2a621f1 build just fine, however all the versions of
that package afterwards fail at the same place during 'guix system
reconfigure', in the check phase, with the same tests failing. At this
point, I think I lack sufficient knowledge of guix to debug this issue
further and it looks like cuirass is so backlogged on aarch64 that is
still hasn't gotten to building these guix versions so I can't compare
with it's build attempts. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'd
really like to be running the latest guix from master.

Thanks!