Subject: bug#52941: 29.0.50; pgtk: characters typed into minibuffers inserted multiple times

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 17:11:13 -0700

Hello,

On Sat 01 Jan 2022 at 04:14PM -07, Sean Whitton wrote:

> If the system is under heavy load, and/or Emacs is compiled with debug
> options which substantially slow it down, and fido-mode is enabled, then
> typing quickly into the minibuffer can result in typed characters
> inserted more than once.  Here is how I can reproduce it:
>
>     emacs -Q
>     M-x fido-mode RET
>     C-h v
>
> and quickly try to type "font-weight-table".  This is what I get in the
> minibuffer:
>
>     font-weweweweweweweight-tatabe
>
> Although I made at least one typo (I didn't type the 'l'), I definitely
> did not type 'we' and 'ta' that many times.
>
> I haven't been able to reproduce with icomplete-mode, but as the problem
> does not occur consistently, I am not confident it does not occur with
> icomplete-mode.

It occurred to me to try --with-x-toolkit=lucid instead of --with-pgtk.
Sure enough, I cannot reproduce the bug.  So I think the problem is
something about how pgtk receives and processes keyboard input.

In summary: I can reproduce with pgtk running as a native Wayland
application, and I cannot reproduce with the Lucid build running under
Xwayland.  In both cases, swaywm.  I have retitled the bug.

Thanks.

-- 
Sean Whitton