Subject: bug#52931: 27.1; image-size sometimes yields a wrong image size in pixels

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 08:44:06 +0300

> From: Markus Triska <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 22:09:24 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > What do you think Emacs does when you use relative image file names in
> > create-image?
> 
> I would hope it does the same thing it does for every other function I
> know where relative file names are used: Use the file from the current
> working directory, i.e., default-directory.

No, it doesn't do that.  It looks up relative file names along
image-load-path.  The reason is that image files are many times
displayed on the tool bar and the fringes, which are not specific to a
buffer, and thus we cannot possibly ensure default-directory is always
set to the right place when we display those.

> However, as far as I can tell, create-image is currently
> unexpectedly not doing this reliably, or at least not on OSX, even
> though it seems to do it on your system.

I used an absolute file name in my tests, because, obviously, the file
you posted doesn't live here in the same directory as on your system.

So I think we now understand the reason for the problem, and there's
nothing else we should do here.