Subject: bug#52912: 29.0.50; Left over files from native compilation

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 12:56:09 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 11:50:18 +0100
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Yes.  Those which are without "native compiled elisp" are the ones
> > that got updated since the previous build.
> 
> Hm...  this was with a "make bootstrap", though.

Then perhaps the time stamp variation on your system sometimes makes
the *.eln files newer than the *.elc?

> > If you touch all the preloaded *.el files and rebuild, you will see
> > _no_ "native compiled elisp" at all, only *.elc files get loaded.
> 
> That's been a long-standing problem, though -- whenever subr.el is
> updated (or something), help-fns-test-lisp-defun fails.  (But I've never
> taken the time to find out why.)

No, I think it's a separate issue.  At least on my system, touching
all the preloaded *.el files would produce a coherent build with all
the *.eln files recompiled.