Subject: bug#52912: 29.0.50; Left over files from native compilation

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 11:07:48 +0000

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I guess Emacs was brutally killed while building, otherwise we should
>> clean these.  Not sure how we can do better here, it works exactly as
>> the byecompiler is working (but is just slower in compiling).
>
> I think I've asked this before -- do we have to write the temporary .elc
> files out to disk at all before doing the .eln compilation?  Can't that
> work directly from an in-buffer .elc?

I think the same question applies the bytecompiler only:

Do we have to write the temporary .elc files out to disk at all before
producing and renaming the final .elc?

In general the last action is good to be a file rename as this should be
atomic.  But that said yes, _when_ we write the temporary file is up to
us.  Again this is not strictly a native compiler issue, just with the
native compiler is more likely to be encountered.

Best Regards

  Andrea