Subject: Re: bug#5291: 23.1.91; "bzr status" FAILED

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 23:40:33 +0200

> Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 12:47:00 -0800 (PST)
> From: Dan Nicolaescu <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>   > I have set up Emacs to be the EDITOR for bzr via emacsclient (yes, I'm
>   > invoking bzr from the command line).  That works, but every time I
>   > commit a file to upstream, Emacs bitches with the following message in
>   > *Messages*:
>   > 
>   >   vc-do-command: Running bzr status bzr_log.uuzkwa...FAILED (status 3)
> 
> Do you get a backtrace if you set debug-on-error?

Yes, see below.

AFAICT, it shouldn't even try to run "bzr status" on this file, since
it's a temporary file used by bzr for the commit message.  But if it
somehow must run "bzr status", then it shouldn't signal an error when
it predictably fails.  But maybe I'm missing something.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Running bzr status bzr_log.ahvp69...FAILED (status 3)")
  signal(error ("Running bzr status bzr_log.ahvp69...FAILED (status 3)"))
  error("Running %s...FAILED (%s)" "bzr status bzr_log.ahvp69" "status 3")
  vc-do-command(t 0 "bzr" "d:/gnu/bzr/emacs/trunk/bzr_log.ahvp69" "status")
  apply(vc-do-command t 0 "bzr" "d:/gnu/bzr/emacs/trunk/bzr_log.ahvp69" "status" nil)
  vc-bzr-command("status" t 0 "d:/gnu/bzr/emacs/trunk/bzr_log.ahvp69")
  vc-bzr-status("d:/gnu/bzr/emacs/trunk/bzr_log.ahvp69")
  vc-bzr-state("d:/gnu/bzr/emacs/trunk/bzr_log.ahvp69")
  vc-bzr-state-heuristic("d:/gnu/bzr/emacs/trunk/bzr_log.ahvp69")
  vc-bzr-registered("d:/gnu/bzr/emacs/trunk/bzr_log.ahvp69")
  apply(vc-bzr-registered "d:/gnu/bzr/emacs/trunk/bzr_log.ahvp69")
  vc-call-backend(Bzr registered "d:/gnu/bzr/emacs/trunk/bzr_log.ahvp69")
  #[(b) "\302\303	#\205\304	\305#\205\306\307\310\"\207" [b file vc-call-backend registered vc-file-setprop vc-backend throw found t] 4](Bzr)
  mapc(#[(b) "\302\303	#\205\304	\305#\205\306\307\310\"\207" [b file vc-call-backend registered vc-file-setprop vc-backend throw found t] 4] (RCS CVS SVN SCCS Bzr Git Hg Mtn Arch))
  byte-code("\303\304\"\305\306	\203	\307=\203\n\202	\nB\"\210)\310\304\307#\210\311\207" [file backend vc-handled-backends vc-file-getprop vc-backend mapc #[(b) "\302\303	#\205\304	\305#\205\306\307\310\"\207" [b file vc-call-backend registered vc-file-setprop vc-backend throw found t] 4] none vc-file-setprop nil] 4)
  vc-registered("d:/gnu/bzr/emacs/trunk/bzr_log.ahvp69")
  vc-backend("d:/gnu/bzr/emacs/trunk/bzr_log.ahvp69")
  vc-after-save()
  basic-save-buffer()
  save-buffer(1)
  call-interactively(save-buffer nil nil)