Subject: bug#52943: closed (Re: bug#52908: 'tests/guix-system.sh' fails on aarch64-linux)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 02:19:03 +0000

Your bug report

#52908: Cannot build guix as part of guix system reconfigure after commit 224d437fb4 on aarch64

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
52908: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=52908
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#52908: 'tests/guix-system.sh' fails on aarch64-linux
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: Aiko Kyle <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>, Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 21:18:39 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Fri, Jan 07, 2022 at 06:26:13PM -0700, Aiko Kyle wrote:
> I can confirm that this test passes here.

Awesome, I am closing this bug. Thanks everybody, for collaborating on a
quick fix!

> However guix system
> reconfigure is still failing for me on aarch64 due to the test
> 'file-needed/recursive' in tests/gremlin.scm failing. There was an
> email on guix-devel starting to look into this issue on aarch64 but I
> haven't had the time to follow up.

I think there is a fix being discussed here:

https://issues.guix.gnu.org/52940

Subject: Cannot build guix as part of guix system reconfigure after commit 224d437fb4 on aarch64
From: Aiko Kyle <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 16:54:51 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I'm new to guix so I'm really struggling to debug this strange issue.
On the latest master I can run 'guix pull', and the latest guix seems
to build just fine, however when I go to do 'guix system reconfigure',
building guix fails the check phase. I've attached the log file. After
some help on IRC, I understand that during 'guix system reconfigure'
ends up building a previous version of itself via the "boot-stripping"
process in gnu/packages/package-management.scm. I followed this linked
list of commits backwards and found that commits prior to commit
224d437fb4 which updates this guix package definition to version 14
which is commit 2a621f1 build just fine, however all the versions of
that package afterwards fail at the same place during 'guix system
reconfigure', in the check phase, with the same tests failing. At this
point, I think I lack sufficient knowledge of guix to debug this issue
further and it looks like cuirass is so backlogged on aarch64 that is
still hasn't gotten to building these guix versions so I can't compare
with it's build attempts. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'd
really like to be running the latest guix from master.

Thanks!