Subject: Re: bug#52908: 'tests/guix-system.sh' fails on aarch64-linux

From: Pierre Langlois <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 10:47:04 +0000

Hi Chris,

Chris Marusich <[email-masked]> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> Hi Aiko and Leo,
>
> Aiko Kyle <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> It would be great to get this upstreamed soon so I can start guix
>> pulling master. I think the guix commit and revision in
>> package-management.scm will also need to be bumped after applying this
>> fix.
>
> It shouldn't be necessary to update the guix commit and revision in
> package-management.scm.  My understanding is that "guix pull" will
> install Guix at the specified commit; it does not use the guix package
> to decide which version to install.  In other words, even if at the
> specified commit the "guix" package is defined to use an older version
> (I believe this is always the case, actually), it will not stop "guix
> pull" from installing Guix at the specified commit.
>
> If it's necessary to update the "guix" package, we can certainly do it.
> However, I don't recall that it's necessary for fixing "guix pull"
> problems like this.  If you still believe it's necessary, can you help
> me to understand why it's necessary?

I believe we'll have to update the package as well. For example on
aarch64 I can do a `guix pull' just fine, however `guix system reconfigure'
fails because it builds the full guix package, including running the
tests.

You've mentioned that `guix pull' was not working for you on ppc64
though right? I wonder why, is this a difference between using Guix as
the OS as opposed to a package manager on top of another OS?

Thanks,
Pierre