Subject: bug#52908: 'tests/guix-system.sh' fails on aarch64-linux

From: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 01:58:43 -0800

Hi Aiko and Leo,

Aiko Kyle <[email-masked]> writes:

> It would be great to get this upstreamed soon so I can start guix
> pulling master. I think the guix commit and revision in
> package-management.scm will also need to be bumped after applying this
> fix.

It shouldn't be necessary to update the guix commit and revision in
package-management.scm.  My understanding is that "guix pull" will
install Guix at the specified commit; it does not use the guix package
to decide which version to install.  In other words, even if at the
specified commit the "guix" package is defined to use an older version
(I believe this is always the case, actually), it will not stop "guix
pull" from installing Guix at the specified commit.

If it's necessary to update the "guix" package, we can certainly do it.
However, I don't recall that it's necessary for fixing "guix pull"
problems like this.  If you still believe it's necessary, can you help
me to understand why it's necessary?

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 03, 2022 at 08:43:27PM -0700, Aiko Kyle wrote:
>> I'll defer to you and Leo for that judgment!
>
> I defer to you and Chris! And I agree, let's push the fix ASAP :)

OK.  I want to give people time to comment on the patch, but I also want
to help fix "guix pull" on master sooner rather than later.  I will
commit my patch in about 48 hours to the master branch if nobody has any
further feedback.

I don't think my patch will trigger many rebuilds.  To verify this, I
tried building coreutils on powerpc64le-linux before and after applying
my patch.  It did not trigger a rebuild of coreutils, so I don't think
it will trigger many rebuilds.  It's conceivable that some derivation
that uses the (gnu services xorg) or (gnu services sddm) modules might
change (maybe something related to Guix System?), but I don't know of an
easy way to check that.

-- 
Chris

PGP: https://savannah.gnu.org/people/viewgpg.php?user_id=106836